So it seems that Miles, the little guy I take care of each day, is allergic to cow's milk protein. Since he breastfeeds, that means his mama is off dairy.
She is not very thrilled about this recent development.
I'm doing what I can to help make the transition a little easier by showing her that dairy-free treats are often just as good, if not better, than their milky counterparts.
First, I got her hooked on soy chai lattes. MMMMM!!
Second, I baked her these:
Dairy-Free Blueberry Muffins:
3 cups of all-purpose flour (i used whole wheat, which makes for a thicker set, but if you want fluffy and light, use all-purpose!))
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tbsp unsalted milk-free margarine, softened
5 tbsp natural applesauce
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup soy yogurt (i used strawberry! mmm! i was also a little short, so i made up the difference in soy milk.)
1 tspn lemon or orange zest (i used orange.)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 tbsp flour (if using defrosted frozen berries)
1. Adjust the oven rack to the middle-lower part of the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one. Beat in the zest.
4. Mix in 1/3 of dry ingredients. Mix in 1/2 of yogurt. Repeat until all ingredients are just incorporated- Do not over beat! Fold in the berries.
*If you are using frozen berries (like i did), defrost them first, drain the excess liquid, and then coat them in a light dusting of flour.
5. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Fill cups about 2/3 full. Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center of the muffins are done. Set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the tin and serve slightly warm.
Camera battery is dead and i don't have the energy to find the charger today, so you will just have to trust that these muffins are delicious and beautiful.
Now baby, mama, and nanny are all happy! Hooray!
In other news, it's a crazy snowy blizzard out there. Blegh.